PG1 gearbox

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Harrison

PG1 gearbox

Post by Harrison »

Hi,
I have a 1.8 t out of a rover 75 in my metro. the 1.1 gearbox has failed ( no suprise ) im would like to put the better pg1 gearbox in and would like to know if i need to put the mg tf subframe in or does it just bold in as is?

Thanks Rob.
Crack Pot

Re: PG1 gearbox

Post by Crack Pot »

Harrison wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:55 pm Hi,
I have a 1.8 t out of a rover 75 in my metro. the 1.1 gearbox has failed ( no suprise ) im would like to put the better pg1 gearbox in and would like to know if i need to put the mg tf subframe in or does it just bold in as is?

Thanks Rob.
What is the 1.8 t? Is that the engine

The 1.1 Gearbox, is that 4 speed or 5
And the pg1 gearbox, is that 4 speed or 5 to?
gazza82mp

Post by gazza82mp »

1.8T is the engine from a Rover 75 and the PG1 gearbox is fitted to several other cars:

https://www.mg-rover.org/threads/pg1-ge ... at.296241/

https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Rover_PG1_gearbox

It's a five-speed.

I have no idea if it would fit!!
"Bitza", my Austin A35, contains Metro parts ...
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

You wont be able to fit the gearbox from the R75 as it is a Getrag box, completely different
from PG1, as is the flywheel.
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

gazza82mp wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:57 am 1.8T is the engine from a Rover 75 and the PG1 gearbox is fitted to several other cars:

https://www.mg-rover.org/threads/pg1-ge ... at.296241/

https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Rover_PG1_gearbox

It's a five-speed.

I have no idea if it would fit!!
So if an engine from a rover 75 will fit the metro then will the gear box that come from the rover fit as well?
Would any engine from any year of rover 75 fit, including the diesel one? As they appear to have been made in 1952 to late
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

Dave VVC wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:00 pm You wont be able to fit the gearbox from the R75 as it is a Getrag box, completely different
from PG1, as is the flywheel.
The engine from the rover 75 engine will fit the gear box of the rover 75 though right, so will it all not fit inside the metro?
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

The engine will fit, but use either R65 flywheel 1400 or 1600 for the 200mm clutch,
also ensure that flywheel has correct crank sensor pattern, (there are 2 types for the 3AS, (mems1.6) alarm, pressed steel
ring pattern, 1 type for 5AS, mems1.9, 2J, mems 3, all same.
(not 1100 flywheel as its only a 190mm clutch) if fitting the R65 box.
If fitting a PG1 box, you will need a mgf/tf/200/25/zr 1800 flywheel, mgf/tf 1800 drive shafts,
mgf rear frame and sump bracket, tie bar (and modify to 100mm bush centres).
The r75 box will not fit, too big, wrong driveshafts, gearchange, speedo drive, too heavy.
Marksouthwales

Post by Marksouthwales »

ive got the back end, of an mot failed mgf trophy, wiring, computers, fobs, sa3, the lot. on the sub frame. sub frame is shot though. will that set up, go straight into my 114 gta, cant ask in metro power fb group. as im banned from facebook lol :) i was at pride last year and the metro show, gayden. i have done loads of work on my 100 since then, see my latest post.

i just cant find any one, who can sort me a vvc adaptor loom. :?
Rover 114 Gta
MGF Trophy 160
Ex mechanic Austin, Mazda, 89-2004
South Wales MGf register, mgoc
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

you can use the front or rear subframe from a mgf, if using the rear, you will need to remove the
plate that covers where the steering rack goes, but frame will have the sump tie bar bracket on'
if using the front subframe, the steering rack mounting is done, but you will need to weld on
a sump tie bar bracket, and ideally fit the rear hydro cans as they are set up for the weight of
the engine and box, so on balance, its better to source a complete rear frame and just remove
the steering rack blanking plate, if you can get solid mounts, use them.
ideally get a knackered mgf (body wise/corrosion etc) and use the rear frame and use the steering
rack, as it is a quicker rack than the metro, either will be a yellow rack, 3.1 turns, or a red rack, 2.8
turns lock to lock, the std metro rack is 3.3 turns., dont use a gti rack as its a restricted travel std rack
that was made to limit the lock to stop gti mpi wheels from touching the dirt shields,
Iirc the rack travel was @ 130mm on all racks except the gti rack which was 116mm.