what petrol for classic car

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Crack Pot

what petrol for classic car

Post by Crack Pot »

I'm Going to be filling the car up with fuel tomorrow, but I am not 100% what kind of fuel I should be using

When I bough the car the other week the guy that sold it to me put a small drop of lead replacement in the tank and I filled it up at the petrol station with the expencive stuff. Is this right? Do I need to fill up with the expencive stuff and put lead replacment in as well? Or is lead replacment only needed for normal unleaded?
gazza82mp

Re: what petrol for classic car

Post by gazza82mp »

Depends on your mileage but I'd use the more expensive E5 as this is less likely to damage your rubber hoses and washers in the fuel system over time. Or replace all the hoses with E10 resistant hose. Some E5 is also reported to contain no ethanol (rules are 'up to 5%') which is even better.

It also doesn't "go off" as quick as the E10 stuff. In some classic car clubs they advise you to drain the tank everytime you plan to leave it for a longer period.

I don't know if a Metro of your age would already have a converted head with hardened valve seats. If it does additive is a waste of time unless it is to counter the ethanol as lead-additive would be unnecessary.
"Bitza", my Austin A35, contains Metro parts ...
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

gazza82mp wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:28 pm Depends on your mileage but I'd use the more expensive E5 as this is less likely to damage your rubber hoses and washers in the fuel system over time. Or replace all the hoses with E10 resistant hose. Some E5 is also reported to contain no ethanol (rules are 'up to 5%') which is even better.
The last owner did have the fuel lines upgraded to modern type so guess am ok there with cheaper fuel. But what about the ethernal, is alcohol bad for the engien or something?

gazza82mp wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:28 pm I don't know if a Metro of your age would already have a converted head with hardened valve seats. If it does additive is a waste of time unless it is to counter the ethanol as lead-additive would be unnecessary.
I dont know this myself; is there a way to find out?
But if it dose not should it take the more expensive E5 as well as the lead replacement?
gazza82mp

Post by gazza82mp »

I've no idea what your engine would be fitted with and the only real way to find out is to remove the head and check physically. As engines have been altered and changed over the years it's never good to assume it is still as it came out of the factory. But as the heads don't appear not fitted with hardened seats as standard until the late 90s (from what I can tell) you maybe assume it isn't? Running lead additive won't do it any harm .. just your wallet depending on mileage.

Do some reading .. my advice to anyone buying a classic car is "get to know everything you can about it". That way when it lets you down you aren't standing there scratching you head or paying over the odds for an "expert" ...

Here's a couple of links to start with and make your our decisions .. after all it's your car [and money!] and you will know how much you are going to use it. Classic car mags have had lots of articles and there may be a post or two on this forum (search option). Mini forums can also help as you have the same engine as many of them.

https://www.calverst.com/technical-info ... -fuel-use/

https://www.calverst.com/technical-info ... ernatives/

Maybe play safe... E5 and additive?? Just a suggestion. Metro tanks aren't huge so it won't cost a fortune.

PS Those hoses .. check that they are the latest ethanol resistant hoses as there were some for E5 and then newer ones for E10.
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

gazza82mp wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:32 am I've no idea what your engine would be fitted with and the only real way to find out is to remove the head and check physically.
I have read half the page now of your fist link and still wonder about this understanding about a leaded or lead replacment head.

Removing the head; what exactly should I be looking for? what is the game change part/ component from leaded to unleaded parts?
gazza82mp

Post by gazza82mp »

Crack Pot wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:52 am
gazza82mp wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:32 am I've no idea what your engine would be fitted with and the only real way to find out is to remove the head and check physically.
I have read half the page now of your fist link and still wonder about this understanding about a leaded or lead replacment head.

Removing the head; what exactly should I be looking for? what is the game change part/ component from leaded to unleaded parts?
Hardened exhaust valve seats. So nothing obviously visible until the head is off and the exhaust valves are removed (or at least one). I won't get hung up on it .. stick some nice E5 super unleaded and additive in the tank and enjoy your Metro! :-)
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

gazza82mp wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:02 pm stick some nice E5 super unleaded and additive in the tank and enjoy your Metro! :-)
Then its going to be an expencive ride! But at some point I would like to adjust the tappets to get more performance and hence more fuel economy from the engine. So Is this a kill a two birds with one stone aproch opporation?
Dave VVC

Post by Dave VVC »

What is the engine number on the tag on the block?
Crack Pot

Post by Crack Pot »

Dave VVC wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:12 pm What is the engine number on the tag on the block?
12H907AA 136302

If that helps :)