1993 Rover Metro Quest transaxle oil question

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
knac1234

1993 Rover Metro Quest transaxle oil question

Post by knac1234 »

Hello all,

Just joined the forum......I am a new (September) owner of a 1993 Rover Metro Quest with only 13K original miles. The car is almost as new in every respect.....very pleased!

It runs great, however I wanted to change the fluids. I started by changing the oil and filter. The coolant was just changed not too long ago, so not worried there.

I would like to now change the transaxle oil. The manual only states 75W oil (I think, without it in front of me).

Should I use GL3 or GL4 gear oil. I have always used GL3 for my other classics (Imp, Reliants, etc...) as it is soft/yellow metal friendly.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help. I am in the USA, and there is about zero support over here!

Cheers,
Julian
gazza82mp

Re: 1993 Rover Metro Quest transaxle oil question

Post by gazza82mp »

Welcome! Wonder how many more Metros ended up on that side of the pond!

My Haynes workshop manual just states "Esso gear oil, BV 75w/80w" but doesn't specify the GL-spec. Like you I'd probably be inclined to go for the GL3.
"Bitza", my Austin A35, contains Metro parts ...
knac1234

Post by knac1234 »

gazza82mp--

Thanks for the reply! I think I meant GL4 vs. GL5.....so GL4 is the right one (yellow metal safe). This is the product I use on my classics:

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24229 ... B000KKHO86

It is the closest I can get to the spec listed, so I will probably go with that unless you think otherwise.

Thanks also for the welcome. Probably not many Metros have made their way over here! I suppose you have to know about the cars to have an interest in them, and, unless you have lived in the UK back in the day, most would not!

That said, I was born in the UK and left when I was around 10 years old, but that's my connection to the MGs, Imp (mum had one), Reliants, and now the Rover that I have. Of course, it was called the Austin Metro when I was a kid, but close enough! Mum still lives there (in Boscastle), so when I visit, the suitcase is not filled with souvenirs, but car parts (and some food I cannot get here too!).

I was very fortunate in finding the car and bought it from a great seller. I really like the car....ran some errands in it today. Where I live, there are plenty of what we call "rednecks" or hillbillies.....one of them pulled up to me in the car park today and said he would give me caaaaash money for it!!!!! Not!!! But, he was very interested in it, and that is part of the fun.

Cheers,
Julian
gazza82mp

Post by gazza82mp »

I'd stick with the oil you know best .. so GL4.
"Bitza", my Austin A35, contains Metro parts ...