Heater fault

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Re-Carbed

Heater fault

Post by Re-Carbed »

My heater blower middle position has stopped due to my resistor pack going crusty - the middle tap connection is loose and rusty, but these resistors seem rare and expensive new or cheaper examples are no better than mine - has anyone else had this and what did you do?
DotMatrix

Re: Heater fault

Post by DotMatrix »

I believe Someone posted resister values in the old forum to use two ceramic resistors instead.
Re-Carbed

Post by Re-Carbed »

DotMatrix wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:51 pm I believe Someone posted resister values in the old forum to use two ceramic resistors instead.
That would be useful as I could use encapsulated, heat-sunk resistors (like the one for the dim/dip headlights behind the front bumper) instead and they would not deteriorate like this old-style "dropper" thing.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

yes exactly. I dont know the values of the two resistors needed and cant find it in the old forum. maybe yours can still be measured?
Re-Carbed

Post by Re-Carbed »

DotMatrix wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:25 am yes exactly. I dont know the values of the two resistors needed and cant find it in the old forum. maybe yours can still be measured?
*Solved* - the resistance wire is wound on a ceramic former and the centre-tap was rusty and broken. The connection to the centre-tap is via a loop which wraps around a lug on this metal band. I removed the rotten metal band and connected the wire to this loop via a 3amp choc block screw connector - securing the centre-tap to the loom for vibration resistance. It now works. Just as well, as that resistor is riveted to the metal base so it would have been a pain to replace.

Sorry - in editing this post I have removed the section that you have replied to!
Last edited by Re-Carbed on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

that is also my understanding of how the resistor works