Central Locking - car battery change

Technical Help for the A & K Series Metro. Please state what year and model you're referring to for better responses.
Hobby

Central Locking - car battery change

Post by Hobby »

Daft question - The battery is about to die and I have another one waiting to replace it. Will it affect the central locking when i take the old one off? Such as having to reset it?
Pickford

Re: Central Locking - car battery change

Post by Pickford »

worst case is you will have to repeatedly click the keyfob buttons for a bit for the key to recognise the car again but I don't think you will have an issue.
N447AKU Kingfisher Blue R116 Kensington (SCRAP)

M356NVP Flame Red R114 Gta (WRITE OFF)

M752PDB Kingfisher Blue R111 Kensington SE (CURRENT PROJECT)

MM07XDP Red Pugeot 107 :lol: (DAILY)
Hobby

Post by Hobby »

Thanks Pickford.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

there is a procedure of pressing on button 4-5 times in a row followed by pressing the other button 4-5 times in a row. I cant remember if the procedure specifies to start with the one button or the other. So I normally just start with the pressing lock button 5 times, then pressing the unlock 5 times and then go back to the lock button again.
Re-Carbed

Post by Re-Carbed »

Or....you could connect a third battery in parallel with the one fitted using some jump leads. Carefully remove the vehicle battery with the backup battery connected to the car's leads and then fit the new one never allowing the jump leads to disconnect from the car's battery leads. Since the vehicle never suffers a loss of voltage it will not lose radio codes or locking / window settings. I did this with my Jaguar X type as I didn't want any hassle and it worked. Good luck.
Pickford

Post by Pickford »

that's a bloody good idea recarbed never thought of doing that.
N447AKU Kingfisher Blue R116 Kensington (SCRAP)

M356NVP Flame Red R114 Gta (WRITE OFF)

M752PDB Kingfisher Blue R111 Kensington SE (CURRENT PROJECT)

MM07XDP Red Pugeot 107 :lol: (DAILY)
Re-Carbed

Post by Re-Carbed »

Pickford wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:29 pm that's a bloody good idea recarbed never thought of doing that.
Thanks!