998 mk2

A place for members to have a real time diary of what they have done to their car/s. Use one post per person/car and add to it as you work on your pride & joy. Please add the year and model in the title (example: - Dave's 1992 Metro 1.4SL)
DotMatrix

Re: 998 mk2

Post by DotMatrix »

What I expected was only a quick change of brake fluid in the front callipers today ended up being a longer task where I changed a completely worn out steering knuckle with a good used one that I regreased and spending some time unsticking the four brake pads and changing two of them that were excessively worn which the other two wasn't. Unfortunately I didn't have neither a new steering knuckle or a new set of brakepads otherwise I would ofcourse have fitted these.
Anyway the work that I done was much needed as brakepads are not supposed to be stuck and wear unevenly so I hope this had fixed some of the issues I have had with this car lately :)

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

So I found a set of these funny old extra brake lights and I have been looking for something like this to this car for a while. The lights are positioned in the only way they can where they don't obstruct neither the rear seat passengers, seatbelts or parcel-shelf opening :)
I have wired the lights up with a relay that draws power from the battery and is triggered by the right hand brake light.

KLAS

Post by KLAS »

oh, i remember these lamps. was nearly a must have for all cars back in the 80s here in Germany (i'm feeling old now).
very nice addition to the car
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

KLAS wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:10 pm oh, i remember these lamps. was nearly a must have for all cars back in the 80s here in Germany (i'm feeling old now).
very nice addition to the car
what period extra should I search for next. my girlfriend who mainly drives this car asked if there was ever a original cup holder for metro's but I don't think there was. Maybe I can find a period after-marked item?
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

So I decided to renovate a master cylinder for this car as I am not happy with the way it brakes as you might have read.

Some time ago I bought this brake master cylinder rep. set for a mini that I thought might fit, I bought it as the old cylinder was leaking out the bottom as the bottom piston was scratched. This rep set contained a new piston that looked similar to the metro piston except for the pointy bit which I had to grind down, drill in the centre and tap to take the screw holding spring on.

Anyway the master cylinder looks like it will work but I need a new gasket for the brake bias valve which you see disassembled in one of the pictures and I have found and ordered some, so I am currently waiting for these.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Fitted the renovated master cylinder today and aired out the system. The brakes are exactly as before so it was obviously not the master. Anyway, its good to know that the master is good. I think i will renovate the calipers and change disks and pads next. Possibly fit braided hoses.
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

yesterday I noticed that the clutch had turned really hard and was having problems disengaging so I thought its was an internal problem and was preparing to pull the clutch off, but then to night I looked down the engine bay I noticed that there was a small leak from the battery and this was dripping down on the clutch cover and running down to the clutch arm and from there. This created corrosion and this was the reason for my clutch being really hard so its fixed now and I will pick up a new battery to morrow :)
I have never seen or had this problem before :)
DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

rebuild a set of brake calipers and fitted them today together with new disks and pads. both outer pot-join gaiters had large holes in them, but I only had one in stock so only changed the one. will have to change the other soon.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

Today I renewed the second CV-joint gaiter. The first was renewed earlier when doing the brakes where I found that both were split. Changing this gaiter isn't that difficult and can be done without removing the hub had it not been because the CV-joint was stuck inside the bearings. I removed the complete hub with CV-joint and took it inside to the vice which made removing the CV-joint much easier and also made it easier to inspect the bearings and grease them. I cleaned the CV-joint and put in new grease and assembled everything again.

DotMatrix

Post by DotMatrix »

so the brake shoes have been sticking to the drums when releasing the handbrake this past week and on my way home driving this car I heard a big clonk when braking and instantly thought that the brake lining had left the brake shoe and sure enough this had happened when I took the drum off. I put on two used shoes, cleaned everything up and put it back together and it is working perfectly for now. The reason for putting on used shoes is that I thought that some of the dirt in the drum look wet from brake fluid so I didn't want to ruin two new shoes to check if the almost new QH wheel cylinder is infact leaking.